Is Escalante Set To Stay In Honduras?
The dial seems to be on repeat: Jose Escalante’s bizarre transfer saga continues…again.
While the Cavalry winger had been in discussions for a CPL return after both Valour FC and Pacific FC had expressed interest, Honduran second division side Atletico Independiente has now announced him instead.
The Honduran winger had terminated his loan with FC Motagua ahead of the new year and was preparing for a Canadian return, though his contract rights were still held by Cavalry – a club that didn’t include him on their year end roster update.
Last season saw the 28-year-old winger kickstart what has become a chronic transfer saga when both FC Motagua and Cavalry FC claimed to hold a full contract on Escalante midway through the 2023 CPL season.
When the dust settled, the left-sided Cavalry man was loaned from Cavalry to Motagua on a one-year deal, with the CPL side ‘retaining exclusive rights’ for Jose for the 2024 CPL season. This implied they had triggered a club option before green-lighting his midseason loan to a club who had already announced him as a full signing.
Escalante made ten appearances for FC Motagua before interest in a CPL return preceded his early loan termination, though it looks like Cavalry weren’t so keen on allowing the player to join their domestic league competition.
“Of course there’s interest,” Dos Santos told us last week, stating at that time nothing had progressed differently beyond that, and that Cavalry ultimately still owned his contract. It is unclear if further negotiations took place afterwards.
While Atletico Independiente has welcomed the winger for the 2024 Clausura season, a source from Cavalry says that nothing has been signed off on yet regarding Escalante. The Canadian transfer window will open on January 31.
Thus, it looks like the second time a club in Honduras seems to have jumped the gun on announcing the midfielder, and it remains to be seen how the 2024 season will truly unfold for Escalante.
Header Image Photo Credit: John Jacques