- Home
- Canadian Premier League
- Star CPL Striker Ali Musse Comes Back To Cavalry
Star CPL Striker Ali Musse Comes Back To Cavalry
In a surprise twist for a highly dramatic CPL offseason, star Cavalry striker Ali Musse has re-signed after all.
The thirty-year-old forward has contributed 31 goals and 25 assists to the club’s war chest over the last six seasons, establishing himself as one of the top forwards found in Canada’s top flight. His return was largely unexpected, with head coach Tommy Wheeldon Jr. having said he was likely to leave and Musse himself having been critical of the league for playing its final during a blizzard.

The striker has penned a new three-year contract that will keep the Somali international at Spruce Meadows through to 2028, with Tommy Wheeldon Jr. saying the club had worked hard to get the deal over the line and keep a talent like Musse on their roster.
The veteran striker was hailed as the league’s Players’ Player of the Year in 2023 and currently leads Cavalry all-time in assists. He had arrived as relatively unassuming signing after having featured for Valour FC beforehand, but has certainly flourished out in Wild Rose Country.
Musse’s return had been kept under wraps well by Cavalry, though the striker seemed set for a move abroad beforehand. While what unfolded in his offseason remains a mystery for now, his surprise return is a huge boost for a club that has kept prolific German striker Tobias Warschewski on the books.
Musse is just joining the side now for its final three weeks of preseason camp ahead of the season opener away to Pacific on Sunday, April 5.

“Extending my time here goes beyond a contact – it’s a commitment to something greater,” says Musse. “This city and community have become my home. We’ve shared many special moments, and I’m excited to continue the journey toward even greater heights.”
Musse had once represented Canada at the youth level but made his debut for Somalia in 2019. It took some time for his return after that, with his CPL form seeing him enjoy a breakthrough during the World Cup Qualifiers last year, with Musse featuring in seven of the country’s last eight matches.
There have been some big names outbound from ATCO over the past few months, with club captain Marco Carducci heading to Halifax and core players like Fraser Aird, Callum Montgomery, Shamit Shome, and Diego Gutierrez all departing.
That isn’t to say Cavalry has rested on its proverbial laurels, however, with Nathan Ingham and Amer Didic coming in as big additions from the nation’s capital, while MLS Next Pro prospects Nathaniel Edwards and Curtis Ofori look like a tidy bit of recruitment from the front office. Midfielder Harry Paton has also arrived having last played for league rival Forge FC.
Header Image Photo Credit: Mike Sturk